kazan city capital of tatarstan russia kazan city tatarstan history tatars tatar holidays kazan tatarstan islam russia tourism
  Russian
OVERVIEW

   News
   1000-year Kazan
   Tatarstan
     Anthem
     Emblem
     Flag
     Kazan - the capital
     Map
     President
       Department of External Communications
     Ministries and State Committees
     Administrations
   History
     History of Tatarstan and Tatars
   Religions
     Islam
     Orthodox
   Celebrities
   Economy
   Industry
   Nature
   People
   Sport
   Tourist info
     Holidays
     Hotels
     Night Life
     Representations abroad
     Representations in Tatarstan
     Sights
     Tatar Cuisine
   Links

People of Kazan

robby
robby
Mail service
 
 @boxmail.biz

[Register]
Counters
RIN.ru - Russian Information Network

The best site 2004

  The Khan`s Courtyard and the complex of the Governor`s Palace

  The Governor's PalaceA street leads straight as an arrow from the Spasskaya Tower archway into the oldest and highest part of the Kazan Kremlin. It is here, on the ground of the former palace complex of the khans of Kazan, that the Govenor's palace has been situated since the middle of the 19th century. Today it serves as the official residence of the President of the Republic of Tatarstan.
  
  In olden days, the Khan's courtyard dominated the Kazan skyline. Surrounded by several walls on different levels, the complex consisted of the monumental edifice of the Khan's palace with three tented cupolas and many adjacent pavilions, galleries and utility buildings. Here the Khan's Mosque with the Khan's tombs also stood. It is known that the Khan's courtyard also housed other tall stone mosques and mausoleums, stone baths and caravanserais. The Khan's Mosque, two white-stone mausoleums, the stone walls of the citadel, as well as wooden houses, towers and workshops can still be seen on the grounds of the Khan's palace as archaeological remains.
  
  The Palace Church Despite all the destruction which befell the Kremlin in the wake of the fall of Kazan, separate buildings in the Khan's courtyard still existed within the citadel for a further century and a half. Some sections of this architectural complex became an organic part of the new appearance of the northern end of the Kremlin. The Governor's Palace, which until 1917 served as the official residence of the governor-general of the Kazan province, with its imperial quarters, was built in 1845-1848 from a design by the eminent architect K. A. Ton, creator of the Church of Christ the Saviour and the Grand Kremlin Palace in Moscow.
  
  The Suyumbike Tower and the Palace Church, which is connected to the Governor's Palace by a walkway gallery, also form an integral part of the entire complex. Motifs of late Russian Classicism dominate the interior decorations of the palace, just as in many other Kazan buildings of the same epoch.


Photogallery
A Park near the Black Lake
A Park near the Black Lake
Traveller's view 
Weather
Thu Jan 26
night / day:  °/°C
Fri Jan 27
night / day:  °/°C
Currency Rate
Central Bank rates
 Dollar USA   
 Euro   
Navigation
  Site map
     Guest Book
      Create your own website!
OVERVIEW
Business
Cognitive
Culture and Art
Letter Master
Dicussion and communication
Home and family
Reference Information
Useful
Rest and Entertainment
Photogallery of Kazan
Advertise with us!
Search

Enter keywords:


 Copyright © RIN 2002.kazan@rin.ru